1426 - This was the location of the Plaza Restaurant from 1928 to the mid-70's, It then became Merlin's Restaurant until the early 90's and was torn down a few years later in 1997 to make way for new development.
3251 (unit 10) - Pizza Hut (since the mid-to-late 80's) in the Northeast Plaza Shopping Center
used to be T.V. Engineers Of Kensington Park from the late 70's to mid 80's.
3251 (160) - Fat Daddio's Pizza (since 2017) in the Northeast shopping plaza used to be Honey Crust Pizzeria from about the early-to-mid 80's until 2010 In between, it was Rico's Pizzeria & Pasta House from 2010 to 2017. Honey Bees Ladies Apparel was here prior to Honey Crust.
3251 (220) - Big Lots (since 1993) in the Northeast shopping plaza used to be a Sears Surplus Store in the 80's to 1993.
3564 - Wet Pets SRQ (since late 2016) used to be a Pizza Hut from 1979 to about the mid 00's..
3572 - Hungry Howie's used to be a KFC restaurant from 1977 until the mid 90's.
3590 - Realty Services used to be a 7-Eleven store from about the mid 70's to early 90's.
Bahia Vista Street
2045 - Roadside Rib Shack used to be a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant from about 1969 to 1984.
3737 (11) - Alma Sue's Quilts used to be the popular Fifty's Diner from about 1994 to 2002. It then became Kreamy Kustard Frozen Delights.
2010 - Before being torn down in 1998 to make way for Walgreens, a KFC restaurant was here from late 1974 to the mid-to-late 90's.
|Kentucky Fried Chicken shortly before its opening in 1974.|
|Pizza Shanty as seen through a car window it appears.|
2300 (103) - Total Tennis at The Colonnade (since 2012) used to be the Persnickety Cat gift shop from about the mid 80's to 2012.
2773 - The home of Frankie's Pizza from 1973 into the early-to-mid 00's. It later became Aioli Grill Italian Express in 2005, Viva Sarasota Café and San Diego Tacos To Go.
2833 - Roni's Café (since 2016) used to be a Chicken Unlimited restaurant from late 1973 or early 1974 to 1984. The Buttery restaurant opened in 1985 for well over ten years and it then became Dina's Family Restaurant in the late 90's. Pegusas Greek Restaurant and Fiona's Too were here between the mid 00's and 2016.
3530 - Gettel Nissan (since 1998) used to be Campbell Motors from 1981 to the early 90's, then was Sarasota Nisssan-Jeep.
3571 - Starbucks (since 2001) was a Texaco service station for over 35 years.
3701 - Denny's restaurant (since about 1994) used to be the Cypress Inn restaurant (1976 to 1993).
3750 - Big Lots (since about 2003) used to be a Woolco department store (1974 to early 1983). It then became a House Works store (1983 to 1987) and Service Merchandise catalog store (late 80's to 2002).
|The parking lot is full at Woolco in March 1974 for opening day.|
|Scotty's Hardware closing sale in 2003.|
4290 - Dino's Pizza (since late 1978) in the Southeast Shopping Plaza used to be Southern States Restaurant in the early-to-mid 70's.
4301 - CVS Pharmacy (since 2000 - converted from Eckerd Drugs in 2004) was built in the former location of a Pizza Hut Restaurant (mid 70's to late 90's and torn down in 2000). A Tee Pee Drive-In Restaurant was here in the early-to-mid 70's.
4401 - Batteries Plus (since mid-to-late 90's) used to be a 7-Eleven store from the late 70's to mid 90's.
4404 - Save-A-Lot (since 2003) in Palm Plaza used to be a Grand Union supermarket (1982 to 1984), then converted into a Kash N Karry supermarket (1984 to early 00's) when Grand Union closed their Florida stores.
4458 - Oriental Buffet (since 1999) in Palm Plaza used to be Pictures and Pitchers movie and dinner theatre in 1983 and 1984. It was also Mrs. Appleton's restaurant from 1986 to 1996 and Maggie's Buffet from 1996 to 1998.
5864 - ;Panera Bread (since 2008) used to be Woody's B-B-Q (opened in 1993). Prior to that, it was Pepper's Bar and Grill .
3941 - Burlington Coat Factory (since 2001) used to be a Kmart department store (1982-2000).
4041 - Regions Bank (since 2007) used to be Stockyard Steakhouse (1992 to 2001). Prior to that, it was Ponderosa Steakhouse (mid-to-late 80's to early 90's) and Walkabout Steak Station.
1 - White Tower Restaurant (not to be confused with White Castle or Royal Castle) was here from about the late 50's to the mid-to-late 80's.
|Postcard of White Tower Restaurant|
2856 - Sparkle-Brite Pool Supplies used to be a Chicken Unlimited restaurant from 1974 to about 1979, becoming Moon's Landing, then a Dairy Queen in the early 80's. By 1984, the restaurant was turned into First Presidential Savings Bank through the early 90's.
2881 (unit 7) - Winn Dixie Supermarket (since 2014) actually started out as a Winn Dixie from 1977 to the late 90's. It later became a Kash N' Karry Supermarket in 2001 before being converted to Sweetbay in 2005. It then converted back into a Winn Dixie in 2014.
2881 (25) - SweetBerries (since 2002) used to be a Long John Silver's restaurant from 1977 to the early 00's.
3404 - Tijuana Flats (since 2009) used to be a Boogie Woogie record store from 1989 to 2008.
3414 - Jersey Mike's Subs (since 2016) used to be a Subway Restaurant from late 1987 to late 2014 or early 2015.
3416 - Papa John's Pizza (since mid-90's) used to be a Zack's Famous Frozen Yogurt store from the late 80's to early-to-mid 90's.
3555 - ABC Liquors (since 1993) used to be a Lil' General food store (mid 70's to 1984), then Circle K (1984 to 1992).
5733 - Tap 72 (since 2016) used to be a Popeye's Chicken restaurant (1990 to about 1994), then a Wings N Weenies restaurant from mid 90's until 2015.
Clark Center Avenue (buildings appear to be on Clark Road)
5947 - Livingston's Amusement Center (since 2005) used to be a Lowe's Home Improvement Center from 1986 to 1989. After being used as a temporary office for Sarasota County, it became an Albritton Fruit store in 1995
Derek Avenue (buildings appear to be on Clark Road)
5825 - Starbucks Coffee (since early 2014) used to be a KFC Restaurant from the early 00's to 2012,
|KFC on Derek Ave. before closing in 2012|
1947 - Walgreens (since late 1996) is at the location previously occupied by the Old Heidelberg Castle restaurant from 1972 to 1995. It was previously the American Legion Coliseum and originally a Studebaker dealership.
|Postcard of the Old Heidelberg Castle restaurant|
3554 - Before being knocked down to make way for Walgreens, a Grandy's Country Cookin' restaurant stood here from 1984 to 1996 or 1997, then China Star restaurant from 1997 to 2004. A 7-Eleven store preceded Grandy's in this location in the 70's and early 80's.
4933 - Before being rebuilt in the mid to late 00's while a BP station, this Marathon station used to be Joe's Handi Stop, operated by Joe Shively, affectionately known as "Peanut Joe" from the mid 70's to 1992.
|Trevino's Mexican Restaurant|
817 - Alvis Heating & Cooling and Muse Emporium used to be the very popular Trevino's Mexican Restaurant from 1977 to about 1986 before moving to N. Beneva Rd. Even before that, it was Sister Sundries' store and gas station (Esso at one time) through the 60's and into the 70's. .
John Ringling Boulevard
470 - Blue Dolphin Café (since about 1998) was previously the Buttery Coffee Shop for at least 25 years.
1341 - Clasico Cafe And Bar used to be Charlie's News from 1974 to 1997 and Sarasota News & Books from 1997 to 2009. It was later Café Palm.
|Charlie's News in 1974.|
1442 - The historic Kress building used to be the S.H. Kress and Company 5 and 10 store from 1932 to about the mid 70's.
1460 - Now multiple businesses from 1460 to 1464 Main, this used to be McCrory's 5 and 10 store from 1923 to early 1992.
1783 - At about where the SunTrust building sits today used to be location of the legendary Smack Drive-in restaurant from 1932 to 1959.
1802 - Reese's Chevron (since 1953 and still pumps your gas) used to be Hamilton's Standard Service.
|Reese's Chevron in 2006.|
Midnight Pass Road
5831 - Dolphin Bay condominiums (since 1998) were built where the popular Magic Moment Restaurant stood from 1977 to 1991. Prior to that, it had been the Marker 69 restaurant.
6101 - Summer Cove condominiums (since 2007) were built where the another popular Siesta Key restaurant, The Summerhouse operated from 1975 to 2004.
North Beneva Road
501 (280) - Beall's Department Store (since 2000) in the Town and Country Plaza used to be a J.Byrons (then Byrons) Department Store from 1979 to 1996, then became Upton's until late 1999.
935 (801) - The USPS (since 1998) in the Sarasota Commons plaza used to be Luria's catalog store from late 1980 to early 1997.
North Honore Avenue
|Kash N Karry in January 2004|
|Accompanying Kash N' Karry sign that was still standing in front of the building in 2014, ten years after the store closed and then became a Goodwill store in 2006.|
110 - Sarasota Discount Pharmacy was once a Terry Shulman's, described as a health, beauty aid, cosmetic and vitamin store by the Sarasota Journal, from 1978 to the mid 80's (pictured below in 1978)
|Terry Shulman's in Colonial Plaza in 1978|
North Tamiami Trail
|John Ringling Towers|
1044 - Publix (since 2006) and condominiums were built on the site of the Broadway Bar, which had operated at this location for many, many years (records show as far back as 1925) until 2004.
1803 - La Quinta Inn & Suites used to be the location of the Captain's Table Restaurant from to early-to-mid 60's to the mid 70's, when it became the Lanai Restaurant until the mid 80's. From then until about 1990, it was Far East 41 and then Primo! Restaurant before moving up the street. It would soon become Wellesley Inn of Sarasota in the early 90's.
3020 - A Twistee Treat ice cream stand operated here for about 20 years until the mid 00's.
4685 - The Mel-O-Dee Restaurant operated here for over 50 years until about the mid 00's.
|Postcard of the Mel-O-Dee restaurant|
6101 - Now part of New College, this was the location of the popular Zinn's Restaurant for over 40 years until closing on New Years' Eve 1986.
|Howard Johnson's Restaurant|
8270 - The Hilton Garden Inn (since late 2001) was built on the site of the Trail Drive-In outdoor movie theater (operated from 1949 to 1988).8301 - A few of the many hangars offered to businesses by the SRQ Airport now occupy the site of the Three-O-Six Bomb Group restaurant (1981 to 1993).
North Tuttle Avenue
|House of Chong|
North Washington Boulevard (U.S. Route 301)
560 - Walt's Plaza (since 2000) used to be the site of Walt's Seafood and Fish Market from the early to mid 70's to 1999.
820 - Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen has been in this location since about the early-to-mid 80's.
918 - Gyros and Seafood (since 2009) used to be a KFC restaurant from about the late 90's to mid 00's..
1000 - Answer America (since early-to-mid 90's) used to be a Lil' General food store (early 70's to 1984), then Circle K (1984 to late 80's). In the late 60's, it was called Three Suns Food Stores.
1120 - America's Super Pawn used to be Tucker's Exxon Station from the early 70's to mid 80's. Other businesses here included Electro Bake auto painting (late 80's), Little Fiberglass Shop and American Legend Cycles.
1158 - A small plaza sits today at the site of the popular Oberlin's Diner from 1971 to about the early 00's. Russo's Diner was here in the 60's.
1199 - This has been an International House of Pancakes (IHOP) restaurant since being built in 1980.
1701 - A Sarasota institution for 60 years, the Hob Nob Drive-In Restaurant opened in March 1957. The restaurant was closed for a few weeks for renovations in 2013, but still retained its look and feel.
5445 - The Public Storage/Marathon area was the home of the Crown House Restaurant (and Duck Inn) from the early-to-mid 70's through the early 90's. Earlier, it was also Holiday House, Morrison's Imperial House, Buresh's Lobster House (opened in 1969) and Jerry's Seafood House (early 70's).
Ocean Boulevard (Siesta Key)
5208 - Big Olaf Creamery (since early-to-mid 80's) used to be both Siesta Key Jewelers (1972 to early 80's) and Siesta Barber Shop (pre-1960 to early-to-mid 80's listed at 5210 Ocean Blvd).
|Prior to 1982, Siesta Barber Shop and Siesta Key Jewelers shared the space that is now Big Olaf Creamery.|
|Anna's Delicatessen and Café Gardens|
170 - The former LTM Party Store (1992 to 2012) used to be a Belk Lindsey department store from 1955 to 1988.
206 - Ace Hardware (since 2005) used to be a Woolworth department store from 1955 to early 1994. In between, it was Dockside Imports (opened in 1994).
South Beneva Road
75 - This was the home of a Rax Roast Beef restaurant in the 80's through 1990. It was later Papa Nick's restaurant before being torn down around late 2007-early 2008.
6988 - This Sunoco station once sold Bay Gasoline in the late 70's. It was also a Starvin' Marvin station in the 80's into the 90's, then Speedway until about 2010.
|Although operating under the Speedway banner, this was still a Starvin' Marvin convenience store in 1997|
|The same station in 2008 (no longer Starvin' Marvin) with much higher gas prices!|
3500 - The PNC Bank location is where the popular Simple Sam's Market operated from the 50's to the 80's.
3825 - Publix supermarket (since 1996) sits today in the former location of the Azar (later Crossroads) Plaza Rocking Chair Theater, which operated from 1965 to 1991 and was torn down in late 1994.
|Crossroads Theater in 1982|
South Tamiami Trail
707 – Sarasota Ford used to be Anderson Ford (60’s and 70’s) and Pelican Ford (80’s and early 90’s).
|Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge|
891 - Sarasota Museum of Arts' The Works building used to be Galloway Furniture from 1959 to about 1974. It would become the Sarasota Optical Center in 1977 and later was Visionworks from about 1990 to 2015.
1155 - Amscot used to be a Royal Castle restaurant (60’s to early to mid 70’s). It was then remodeled into a Pan American bank.
1201 - BB&T bank at Midtown Plaza used to be a Sears Auto Center, which was in front of Sears (1960-1979).
1277 – Panera Bread (since 2010) used to be Bennigan’s Grill &Tavern (1982 to 2010)
1325 – The Midtown Plaza supermarket has been converted from a Grand Union (opened in 1981) to Kash & Karry (1984) to Sweetbay (2005) and finally to Winn Dixie (2014). The original grocery store in the plaza was opened as a Food Fair in 1958 and later rebranded into Pantry Pride in 1969.
1339 - Papa Nicks Spaghetti House was a popular dining spot here in the 50's.
1414 – The Satellite Phone Store used to be a Waffle House restaurant (early 70’s – late 00’s). In between it was Jeff's Salad Company.
1425 - Best Western used to be a Quality Inn along with Martine’s Restaurant until the late 70’s. The Sea Ketch restaurant (1981 to 1985) was also here.
1428 – The Eyes Specialists location served up Krispy Kreme donuts (mid to late 60’s until 1973), becoming a dialysis center in the mid-70’s. Many restaurants and businesses on the west side of the trail in the vicinity of Sarasota Memorial Hospital (SMH) would also be turned into or rebuilt as medical centers/practices or acquired by SMH.
1500 - The former Burger King (1978 until about 2002) sits next to a unit of SMH (Heart and Vascular) and was acquired by and is utilized by the hospital at this time. Prior to Burger King, the property was occupied by the Town House Motel.
|Burger King in front of the SMH Heart and Vascular Center in 1998. The restaurant building is now used by SMH.|
1575 – BankUnited (since 2014) used to be an Arby’s Roast Beef (late 1969 or early 1970 until 2000), followed by Basil’s and later shared by Firehouse Subs and Dunkin Donuts starting in 2005.
1600 - A uniquely shaped drive-in restaurant called Burger Queen once stood in this location presently utilized by SMH for a building and parking. The restaurant opened in 1959 and operated until 1972. The French-styled Eddy’s Café, opened there later that year, continuing for most of the next eight years (changed to a deli in 1979, then back to Eddy’s in 1980). From 1981 and for the remainder of the 80’s, several eateries passed through, including Micheal's Place for Ribs, Chatter's Roadhouse, Swenson’s Ice Cream and The Parlour before the property was acquired by SMH.
|Eddy's Café in 1973 and Michael's A Place For Ribs in 1981 were among the restaurants that occupied the former Burger Queen space after it was rebuilt in 1972-73|
1601 – The Wendy’s Restaurant currently in this location was built in the early 80’s on the site of the old Floridian Court Motel .
|Wendy's at 1601 S. Tamiami Trail in 2006.|
1635 – Tijuana Flats, which opened in late 2002 was originally a Mr. Gatti’s Pizza (complete with arcade games) built in 1981. The location had previously been the home of the Towers Motel. The pizza would later be served up by Pepperoni’s Pizza and Pasta from the late 80’s to early 90’s. In 1992, hot dogs would become the specialty with a Nathan’s Famous restaurant here for a couple of years. In late 1994, Dunkin Donuts and Miami Subs moved in to share the space and Baskin Robbins Ice Cream was also here.
|Mr. Gatti's Pizza in 1981|
|1961 yearbook photo of McDonald's|
1737 – The former Square One Burgers (2010 to 2015) used to be the popular Kissin Cuzzins’ restaurant for almost thirty years until 1999 becoming Sugar Loaf and then a few others (Carpe Diem, Sarasota Café., Mel's, Longetivity Café) in the 00’s. In the 60’s, this location was a Perkins Family Restaurant.
1850 - This location was known in recent years for being the home of the Sugar and Spice Amish restaurant (1984 to late 1997) before the property was acquired by SMH and the building then torn down. The Dutch Pantry (1959 to early 70’s) was the other longtime occupant of the restaurant. Others in between included Garden Inn, TR Murphy’s and Gillespie's.
|Dutch Pantry and Sugar and Spice|
1935 – Goodwill was previously a Gulf service station in the 50’s up to about the late-80’s.
2601 –Center for Sight was constructed on the site of the former Sunnyside Motel . The motel was demolished in 1999 to build the center.
|Brown Derby in 1990.|
3800 (21) - The area Pier 1 Imports (since 2015) now occupies (at least some of it along with CVS) in the Paradise Plaza (formerly Crossroads and earlier Azar) was once an A & P Supermarket. A & P was in this plaza from 1959 to late 1978 and replaced by a Great Scot supermarket (1979-81), then Mister C's Warehouse. A Phar-Mor store opened here in the mid-80's and operated until 2002. Pier 1 replaced Borders Books (2004 to 2011).
3800 (33) - The Sawmill Inn was here in the Crossroads (now Paradise) Plaza from the mid 70's to early 1989. It then became the Backstreet restaurant.
|Boston Market in 2007.|
3902 - Valvoline Instant Oil Change (since 2013) used to be the Trail Union 76 service station from the early 70's to the early 90's. It was also Florida Car Care Center and then Mobil 1 Lube Express (mid 90's to 2013).
3904 - Mattress Firm used to be a restaurant/lounge, including Shannon's Way (1977-1983), Impressions of Sarasota, 1776 Restaurant (1985-1992), Stockyard Steakhouse, Banana's Bar & Grill and Notorious. By 2000, it became a Ritz Camera and Boater's World store.
|The upper façade of the 1776 Restaurant in 1986.|
|In 1978, Jay's Shoes, Super Value Drugs and Shannon's Way Pub shared the small plaza that still sits just south of the Bee Ridge Rd./So. Tamiami Tr intersection.|
3909 - Torn down in 1998 to make way for Walgreens, this used to be Dixie Lee's Liquors from the 50's until the mid-to-late 80's before moving just around the corner to Bee Ridge Rd. It then became O'Lyn Callahan's Yamaha Music Center and later Classic Keyboard in the mid 90's;
3979 - Diamond Vault (since 2011) used to be Peaches Music (late 1989 to 1995), then West Marine from 1995 to 2010 before moving down the street.
|Village Inn in 2007.|
|Montgomery Ward sign in 1973.|
4001 - Café Baci Restaurant (since 1991) used to be a Western Sizzlin' Restaurant from the early 70's to 1990.
|Western Sizzlin' in 1989 and Café Baci at the same location in 2011|
4023 - Verizon (since 2015) occupies the area that was the home of the very popular El Adobe Mexican Restaurant from 1974 to 2014. Other restaurants here included Blake's (mid 50's), Burger King (1957 to early 60's), Little Pig's House, Beef Pit, Gordon's Diner and Romano's Italian Restaurant (1970 to 1974).
|El Adobe Restaurant in 2014|
4035 - The former Puppy Town used to be the Self Service Shoe from the late 50's until the early 90's. It then became Great Deals on Heels from 1991 until 1993 and then Futons Etc. for about a decade.
|Self Service Shoe Store sign in 1989 and Great Deals on Wheels store in 1992.|
4101 - Trader Joe's (since 2012) was a Rooms To Go furniture store from the mid 90's until moving up the street in 2011.
4130 - T-Mobile operates in an area once occupied by the All Night Chevron station in the 80's and a Standard station in the 60's and 70's.
4144 - Walt's Fish Market (since 1977) used to be a Burger Chef restaurant from before 1960 to 1974. In between it was Wilcox House of Music.
|Walt's Fish Market in 1989 next to the sign for the above-mentioned Chevron station.|
|The Fashion Door in 1978|
4250 - A small plaza now occupies the area where a Tastee Freez ice cream stand stood for nearly 25 years until about 1983. It had been moved from 1838 South Tamiami Trail in the late 50's.
|Tastee-Freez in the 1960's|
|BeMent's Chicken from a 1960's postcard and later in 1978 as BeMent's Country Boy Restaurant|
4410 - Demetrio's Restaurant & Pizza opened in early 1975 and is still here after over 40 years.
|Demetrio's in 1975.|
4420 - Shelly's Gifts and Christmas Boutique (since 2016) occupies the property which held both a Blimpie sandwich shop and Rita's Italian Ice store from 1999 to about 2006. although the Blimpie and faded Rita's signs still stood for several years after the building was torn down (see below). Among the other businesses at this location was a Gulf service station from the 1960's to about 1980 and Allied Tires from the early to late 80's.
|A Blimpie/Rita's Ad from the store opening in July 1999, the store in 2007 after it had closed, and the sign out front that stood until 2015, several years after the building had been torn down.|
4450 - Sarasota Medical Center (since 1994) used to be the Hong Kong Kitchen restaurant from 1972 to the early 90's. In the 1950's until about 1967, the Big Mug root beer stand (4440 South Tamiami) was in this location
4500 - Florida Surgical Supply (since the mid-00's) was built as a Maryland Fried Chicken restaurant (1969 to 1973), somehow turning into Tamiami Adult Books (mid 70's), but is most known for its time as the popular Camel's Den restaurant (1978 to 1993). Other restaurants here included Villa Capri (1994-late 90's), International House of Curries and Yanni's Greek Tavern (2001-mid 00's).
|The Camel's Den Restaurant in 1978|
|The same building over 30 years later.|
4613 - Torn down in 2015, this used to be Wilson's Texaco (later Spur) from the 50's to about the late 80's). The building was restored with Texaco pumps as Studio 41 gallery in the late 90's.
|Although it had closed by the time this photo was taken in the mid-90's, Wilson's Spur Service Station (formerly Texaco) and its gas pumps were still standing at 4613 S. Tamami Trail before being restored a few years later.|
4650 - Ashley HomeStore (since 2015) used to be Haverty's Furniture from late 1969 to early 2001. In between, it was DeSears Appliances from 2002 to 2009, then reopened from 2011 to 2014.
|Haverty's Furniture at its prior location at 4650 S. Tamiami Tr,|
4708 - West Marine (since 2010) used to be a Circuit City electronics store from about 1992 to 2010.
|Circuit City shortly before closing in 2010.|
|The Bookstop in 1996.|
4840 - Publix Supermarket (since early 2009) in the Landings Plaza used to be an Albertsons Market from about 1988 to 2008.
|Albertsons (now Publix) at The Landings Plaza|
|Radio Shack closing sale at The Landings Plaza in February 2015.|
|Lechmere just before closing its Florida stores including this one at the Landings in 1989.|
4994 - Sweet Tomatoes restaurant (since 1996) used to be a Casa Lupita restaurant that opened in 1985 and became Casa Amigos in 1990.
5251 - Leather Gallery and Bedding Center (since 2014) used to be a Radio Shack Computer Center from 1982 to the early 90's. Ethan Allen Design Center was also here from 2008 to early 2014.
|Kane's Furniture in 1968|
6018 - Economy Tackle has been here or at 6024 So. Tamiami since 1948.
6112 - The Oaks B-B-Q restaurant (since 1989) was occupied by many different businesses from 1973 to 1989 including Mitchell Black Top Co, Madam Christine Palm Reading, El Conquistador Health Club, Accent Music and Pleasure Pub.
6115 - Before being torn down and rebuilt into a small strip mall, this used to be a Pizza Hut from the early 70's to the early 00's. It was also Wireless Giant in the mid 00's
|Wireless Giant (former Pizza Hut) can be seen from the 7-Eleven across the street in 2006.|
6123 - The former Subway (mid 00's to 2016) used to be a Mister Donut (1972 to about 1993) and Dunkin Donuts (1993 to 2002).
|Dunkin Donuts in 2002.|
6131 - New Dynasty Chinese Restaurant (since 1998) used to be a Ponderosa restaurant from the mid 70's until about 1997.
6240 - The former Square 1 Burgers (2015 to 2017) used to be the Li'l Villa Italian American restaurant from about 1971 to 1987. Prior to that, it was Jerry's Restaurant from at least the mid 50's to the early 70's and later Mario's Restaurant in the late 80's and 90's.
6307 - Gordon Food Service (since 2014) was the location of Sound Advice from 1987 to 2008 (torn down in 2014). Also here in the 70's to late 1986 or early 1987 was Crown Liquors (listed at 2020 Jo-Ann Drive).
|Crown Liquors in the 80's and Sound Advice in the 00's.|
6449 - Eager Beaver Car Wash (since 1977) used to be a used car lot (mainly Reynolds & Sons) from the late 60's to 1976.
6501 - The Sarasota Pavilion shopping plaza (formerly Gulf Gate Mall) location once housed the Siesta Drive-In Theater from late 1952 to 1960.
6502 - Before being torn down to make way for a turn lane off of Stickney Point Road in the mid-to-late 90's, this was primarily the home of a Royal Castle restaurant (1960 to late 1973 or early 1974) and the original home of The Oaks B-B-Q restaurant from the late 70's to 1989. It was also Cross Roads drive-in restaurant before 1960.
6508 - Splash Sun & Fun used to be a Gateway Country computer store from 1999 to 2004. A service station was in this area in the 60's and early 70's followed by Milex Precision Auto Tune-Up and Interstate Transmissions (late 70's to mid 90's).
6522 - Before Sea Oats Plaza was built in the early 80's, Johnny Nicholas Restaurant was here from at least the early 60's to around 1974. Before that, it was the Patio Restaurant.
6535 - Stein Mart department store (since 1994) used to be a Belk Lindsey department store from 1967 to 1994. This building remained as is during the conversion of the Gulf Gate Mall to the Sarasota Pavilion in the late 90's.
6606 - Harry's Sports Bar & Grill (since 2013) used to be a Denny's Restaurant (built on the old Siesta Villa Motel site) from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. It later became Water Grill, TP Hans, Friendly's Restaurant (2003 to 2005), Big Al's, Legacy and Bogey's.
6700 - Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (since 2000) was the location of the Windjammer/Davey Jones Locker restaurant from 1969 to the mid-to-late 80's and Cook's restaurant before that in the 60's. From 1989 to the late 90's, it was a car dealership (Mazda of Sarasota).
6727 - Dutch Valley restaurant (since about 1982) used to be Ranch House restaurant (early 70's to early 80's).
6731 - This was where a Jerry Lewis cinema opened in July 1972 (see below), becoming the South Trail Cinema in 1973 until 1993. A Kenny Rogers Roasters Restaurant was then built here, but would become Manhattan Bar & Grill shortly after in the mid 90's. for close to 15 years, later becoming Beckham's.
|Jerry Lewis Cinema shortly before opening in July 1972.|
|Red Lobster in December 1970|
6969 - Tammie's Patio used to be Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips (1977 to 1981). It was also La Magurita, Perfectly Frank, Suncoast Citrus (late 80's to early 00's), 6969 Design Guild and Underground Auto Styling.
7113 - The Devyn Event Venue (since 2014) used to be Sam Seltzer's Steakhouse from early 2000 to 2010 and Livingston's Billiards/Rack & Roll Café prior to that . Also here at 7111 S. Tamiami were: Dover House Restaurant (mid-to-late 70's to early 80's), Adami's Restaurant (1981 to 1988), Pastel's, Jim's Steak House, Box Seat Bar and Grill, Sarasota Grill, Alfred E. Gators and Livingston's until moving in 2005.
7119 (J) - Fish Market & Grill (since 2016) in Buccaneer Plaza used to be Better Bagels from about 1985 to 1996. It then became Gastronomia Restaurant from 1996 to 1999 and Figaro's Pasta & Wine Bar at the start of year 2000. It was later G's Pizza & Wings.
7119 (L) - H Built Computers (since 2008, 2006 in this plaza) was originally a Carvel Ice Cream Store from the mid to-late 80's, It has also been Penn Treaty Insurance, Charad of Sarasota and Access USA.
7129 - The former SweetFrog used to be a Taco Bell (1982 to about 1996), followed by Taste of Tokyo restaurant and Amalfi's restaurant.
|Taco Bell in 1982.|
7207 - Outback Steakhouse (since 1989) used to be a Texas Bill's restaurant (1982 to 1983) and Po Folks' Family Restaurant (1984 to 1987 or 88) before being torn down and rebuilt in 2009.
7221 - AMF Gulf Gate Lanes was called Galaxy Lanes when it opened in 1976 and for the next couple of decades. It also featured the Astro Lounge.
7241 – Goodwill (since 1988) used to be Midway Groves (mid 70’s to 1988).
7253 - The Grasshopper Mexican Restaurant & Bar (since 2013) used to be the popular Shell's Seafood Restaurant (1986 to 2008). In between, it was Stingray's and then Schuck's. Before Shell's from 1973 to 1985, the names of the restaurant included Bruno's Italian Restaurant, Genaro's Italian Restaurant, Villa Del Roma, Bavarian Lion and La Marsala.
7250 - Culver's Restaurant (since 2015) was built on the location that was the long time home of The Original Oyster Bar restaurant from 1961 to 2006 .
|Original Oyster Bar|
7321 - Wilde Jaquar of Sarasota (since 1997) was the site of a Steak 'n Shake restaurant (with curbside service) from the mid 70's until late 1986 or early 1987. Other restaurants here between 1987 and 1997 included Lacey's, Tassotis Restaurant Italiano, Tenderloins and Texas Roadhouse.
|Driving Expressions in 1990|
7447 - Geier's Sausage Kitchen (since 1982) used to be the location for Par-T Minature Golf & Game Room in the late 70's and early 80's.
7500 - Now a small plaza built in 2005 that includes Innovative Design Solutions, this used to be the home of the International King's Table Restaurant in the late 60's until about 1973 when it was then known as King's Bounty Restraurant. In the mid 70's, it became The Cajun Club until the early 80's, then Sarasota Fish Company, Robin & Joel's Restaurant, Woody's BB-Q (1994 to 1997) and La Champagne Restaurant from 1998 to the early-to-mid 00's.
|Postcard of International King's Table Restaurant|
|Self Service Shoe Store Grand Opening in 1975|
8197 - Pizza Hut used to be Café LaChaumiere restaurant from 1979 to 1987. It was also Whisper Inn from 1988 to late 1993 or early 1994 and then Rick's Café.
|Workplace (now Staples) in 1991.|
8201 - Costco at Westfield Sarasota Square Mall (since 2012) replaced Dillard's (1996 to late 2009) as one of the mall's four major tenants. Dillard's had replaced Parisian (1989 to early 1996).
8372 - The former Sports Authority in Pelican Plaza (2014 to 2016) used to be a SuperX supermarket from 1983 until converting to Florida Choice until 1988. It then became a Kash N Karry supermarket from 1988 to 1994 and Linens N Things shortly after until 2008.
|SuperX at Pelican Plaza in 1983.|
|Last days for Linens'N'Things in 2008 and Sports Authority in 2016.|
8599 – Haverty’s Furniture (since 2001) used to be a Phar-Mor (1991 to 1993), then Roberd’s Furniture (1994 to 2000).
South Tuttle Ave.
3650 - The very popular Tas-T-O Donuts operated here in a small trailer in the Zayre (now Tuttle Bee) plaza from about 1970 to 1999.
3660 - Dollar Tree used to be Frank's Nursery & Crafts from the early 90's to late 2004 or early 2005.
3680 - Office Max (since 1993) used to be part of the Zayre/Ames department store (see below) from 1969 to 1990.
3700 - TJ Maxx (since 1991) was a Zayre department store from 1969 to 1988, then converted to Ames from 1988 to 1990.
|Zayre department store in 1969.|
500 - A large office complex sits next to the area where a very popular walk-up Dairy Queen operated for over 45 years until July 30, 2006.
Stickney Point Road
1930 - Earth Origins Market (since about 2012) used to be The Granary from about 1986 to 2012. Prior to that, it was a Jewel T discount supermarket from 1980 to the mid 80's. At least part of Jewel T had been a Food Fair (60's), then Pantry Pride (70's) supermarket.
1940 - Carrabba's Italian Grill (since early 1997) used to be the Trolley Station restaurant from 1980 to 1996.
2480 - Jimmy John's (since 2015) used to be a Dunkin Donuts store (opened in early 2007). In between, it was a We Buy Gold store. Previously, a Texaco service station was here from the 60's until the early 00's.
|A new prototype Dunkin Donuts is under construction at 2480 Stickney Point Rd. in October 2006 while the sign from the former Texaco station is still standing.|